Oxfam has stated that for the sixth time in the last 11 years, the world is going to consume more food than it produces. This is caused by unusual weather conditions in the USA, Russia, and other major food exporting countries. It is estimated that staple food prices will double in the next 20 years, which will be disasterous for poor people around the world.
So, you wonder, what does this have to do with you? For starters, more of your income is going to go to paying for the food you and your family need to survive. More people are going to be hungry, and get more diseases, and more people will die because of malnutrition (especially children, who are most susceptible).
What can you do? Well, you can do a number of things.
- You could start a small garden at your home on your balconey or in your yard or on the road verge.
- You could join or start a community garden program.
- You could shop at your local farmers market, which in turn encourages them to grow more food and sell locally.
- You could contact a local farmer and buy direct from them or even form a cooperative with others to do the same.
- If you have the room, you could start your own aquaponics project. From the space of a single car carport, you should be able to produce enough food to feed 4 people.