Our system has been running for a few months now, and I thought I’d share my maintenance schedule.
- Feeding – feed fish morning and night. Feed yabbies every second day after removing any uneaten food pieces.
- Check water temperature.
- Check pumps and plumbing. To conserve power, I use a timer on the pump to operate it during daylight, and a timer on the aerators during the night. Check them.
- Check that all siphons are operating correctly.
- Pick vegetables as needed, while checking for bugs and disease.
- Test water for pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and dissolved oxygen.
- Check water level in sump tank and top up as required.
- Plant out new plants after removing spent plants. Plant need seeds as required for planting out in 2-3 weeks time.